Here is the latest Coffee & Pearls:
Scroll down to read it as a blog post!
When I first had the idea to write a book for single Catholic women, hoping to inspire them with stories of how ordinary women met their husbands, I was a little worried that it would make me sad. I wondered if reading all these sweet moments about dating would make me miss those electric feelings in my own marriage. I was surprised though, that I didn’t feel that way at all.
I saw God’s thumbprint in every story and the beautiful way he orchestrated two people to find each other in this messy and loud world that we live in. It also helped that almost every single person ended their story with some version of “marriage takes a lot of work.” No one was pretending that the darling stories of dating precisely mirrors what happens in the decades after.
What I did discover though, was that there are many struggles we share with our single sisters. Here are the five that stood out to me:
- We are trying to discern God’s will for our lives.
- We must learn how to continue living even if we are suffering.
- We must learn how to have hope even when we cannot see any goodness in the future.
- Television, movies, advertisements, and social media are seriously skewing our idea of reality.
- It is extremely difficult to be called to a vocation but not be able to carry it out… yet.
“If we wish to make any progress in the service of God we must begin every day of our life with new eagerness.”
– St. Charles Borromeo